Thursday, March 8, 2012

To Beard Or Not To Beard And Week 6 Of The NBA Power Rankings

I consider facial hair my 1 area of expertise. If the proficiency by which one can grow a beard could somehow be worked into a money-making endeavor, I would be a very rich man. When I was younger, I tried out probably every conceivable facial hair style. Usually after a week or so I would get bored with that particular look (or the upkeep of it at least), shave it off, and then start all over again. For several years spanning parts of high school and college, this was my thing. That phase pretty much ended when I met Krissy though…girls have a way of ending those kinds of phases one way or another. She liked my face mostly clean shaven, but she found a week’s worth of lazy, unshaven scruffiness to her liking as well. Consequently, I haven’t tried out many beard variations in the 5-plus years I have known her. It’s probably for the best. I definitely can rock a mean looking beard, but I usually prefer myself sans facial hair also. I’m kind of like the tall kid that is pushed into basketball his whole life when all he really wants to do is play the tuba…or something. It’s not that he doesn’t like basketball; it’s just not his passion. Anyway, a week or 2 ago we were with my family, and the conversation turned to baby-making. It was brought up that my Dad rocked a “pregnancy beard” when my Mom was carrying my siblings and I around. I guess it’s akin to the “playoff beard” you see hockey players sport every year, where they don’t shave until they win the Stanley Cup (or are eliminated). This idea appealed to me as well, so that was kind of the genesis for me growing out a full beard over the past week and a half. The problem is that Krissy hates it…well, she doesn’t “hate” it, but she hates the fact that I trim up some of the neck hair portion. She likes it “au naturale” or nothing at all. For me, king of all bearded people, this is not going to work out well. I am a hairy dude, and without any man-scaping my facial hair goes basically from my chest hair almost all the way to my eyebrows…not really a great look for me. I’m really only a step away from being 1 of those “ape people” you see on National Geographic who are shunned from society and have to live out in huts in the woods or whatever. I guess I could just say, “Mind your business, woman,” and keep the beard, but being that she’s my wife, she does control my access to the “fun zone”…yep, definitely going to shave it as soon as I get home from work…on to this week’s power rankings. This week, we have the most movement in the rankings to date, as things finally got shaken up in our top 3, and we have some new blood in the rankings as well. Here we go…


D-Rose and the Bulls have gone streaking.


1. Chicago Bulls (PR=3, 33-8)…As the only team in the top 4 without a blemish last week, it was only right to bump them to the top spot. With Rip ineffective and now injured again, they still have the same ol’ shooting guard woes, but a healthy D-Rose and a suffocating D should be good enough to carry them (especially in this wacky lockout-shortened year). Tough to argue with 8 straight W’s and a 15-2 record since February 1st too.

2. Oklahoma City Thunder (PR=2, 31-8)…6 weeks of power rankings, 6 weeks of being ranked 2nd for OKC, as Chicago leapfrogged them this week. A loss in Atlanta was the only thing keeping them from jumping to number 1, but don’t cry too much for the Thunder. They have won 14 straight at home, which is where they play 8 of their next 10.

3. Miami Heat (PR=1, 30-9)…After 5 weeks at number 1, it was only a matter of time before the Heat stumbled a little. And while it was fun seeing LeBron play more power forward, Bosh’s absence really showed his worth to the team, as Miami’s biggest weakness may be their lack of quality bigs. A combination of Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard is not going to get it done. Also, take note of this tough stretch coming up for Miami: Indy, at Orlando, at Chicago, and at Philly.

4. San Antonio Spurs (PR=4, 26-12)…Another ho-hum week for the Spurs. Tony Parker continues to play out of his mind though, averaging 21 points and 6.5 assists per game since the break, all while shooting 55% from the floor.

5. Memphis Grizzlies (PR=Not Ranked, 23-15)…The number 5 spot continues to be a revolving door, but Memphis seems to finally be taking that step forward many thought they would after last year’s playoff run, and Z-Bo’s return looms as well.


Jimmer's 1st year in the pros hasn't been all smiles.


26. Toronto Raptors (PR=27, 13-26)…Went 2-2 last week, but next week could be make-or-break for them in terms of the power rankings, as they play 3 teams (Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland) who’s record is not much better than their own, and 1 team (NJ) that’s just below them. Toronto, you control your own destiny.

27. Sacramento Kings (PR=Not Ranked, 13-26)…With Toronto, New Jersey, and Detroit all around 0.500 in their last 10 games in the East, it’s time to give some love to the next stinkiest Western Conference team. Ended a 4 game losing streak by (barely) beating fellow woeful West team New Orleans, but this team is a mess overall.

28. Washington Wizards (PR=29, 9-29)…The Wiz jump a spot after an up-and-down 2-1 week: a win on the road against the Cavs, followed by a Golden State drubbing on their home court, and then finishing up with a win against the Lakers. As bad as Washington’s been, they boast 2 of the 3 (more on that in a sec) most unlikely W’s of the season (last night’s win and their January win against OKC).

29. New Orleans Hornets (PR=28, 9-30)…So much for my “what if New Orleans played in the East” argument. Losers of 3 in a row and 5 of 6, the Hornets seem to be destined to finish right above the Bobcats in the standings. Can someone buy this team already?

30. Charlotte Bobcats (PR=30, 5-32)…Charlotte had what will probably be their best win of the season against Orlando, but it just goes to show how firm their hold on the bottom spot really is.

Rising: Minnesota (3 in a row, 7 of 10, and it hurts me to say it being a Blake fan, but Kevin Love is the best power forward in the game right now)

Falling: New York (lost 3 in a row and the league seems to be up to speed on them now), Milwaukee/Cleveland (getting closer and closer to bottom 5 territory every week), and LA (both the Clippers and Lakers aren’t the same team away from Staples)

No comments:

Post a Comment