Friday, October 14, 2011

Dance Dance Revolution

Over the past couple of years, I've developed somewhat of an obsession with dancing, specifically different forms of the hip hop genre of dance. I think Krissy is mostly responsible with the manifestation of this obsession, as she introduced me to corny movies like Step Up and Take the Lead, which led into my regular viewership of shows like So You Think You Can Dance...I'm not sure why I like dance-related stuff that much, given that I can dance just about as well as William Hung can sing, but every once in a while I will sift through dance clips on YouTube, and sometimes I will find a gem or 2. I really am a sucker for this stuff...

The 1st video is by a dance crew of kids that is apparently called "The Art of Teknique." I have a tough time estimating how old the kids actually are (7 or 8 maybe?), but whatever age they are these kids are better dancers than I was at anything when I was their age...maybe sneaking sodas and chocolate chip cookies in my grandparents' basement, but that's about it. As good as they are, the best part of the video for me comes at the very end (right around the 2:42 mark) when the song basically ends, and the kids kind of fall over each other, much in the way that any goofy 8 year old boys will do...superhuman as they look, they are still kids after all.





The next 2 videos are both danced in a style that I have just come across called "dubstep." According to my extensive research on Wikipedia, dubstep is a form of electronic music characterized by "tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals." To your average Joe, dancing to dubstep resembles someone doing "the robot" on HGH. The 1st dubstep video is of a dude that calls himself "Swody." At 1st glance, Swody looks like your run of the mill, white, emo-looking kid...until the beat drops, that is. The video starts off kind of slow. He shows off some robot-eque moves, but at about the 1:10 mark the beat speeds up, and this guy starts going insane. His hand movements, leg movements, and popping (yes, I know some dance lingo...thanks, So You Think You Can Dance) are scary-good. My only complaint is that the kid needs to close his bedroom shades because the glare is kind of distracting (especially in the 2nd song when he's wearing a white shirt, which makes some of his hand movements almost impossible to see).





However, I think I saved the best for last. The other dubstep dance video features (according to YouTube) a guy named Marquese Scott. One of the 1st things you notice is that the song is "Pumped Up Kicks," which even if it is mixed to dubstep is kind of slow and melodic, so you wonder how is this guy going to dance to it? After watching it, you realize the slow parts were some of the best sections. He is moving so slowly at times that you would swear he put some type of super slow-motion effect on the video. With that being said, the fast hard-hitting parts are as equally nasty. His legs, arms, and neck seem to move completely independently of each other when he wants to...sections of it really don't look real. The "whoa" moment of the video starts at about the 4:10 mark, where the guy does a move that I have never seen before. He pitches his body forward on one leg, while keeping the rest rest of his weight behind it, and comes to a complete stop almost like someone popping a wheelie on the front tire on a bike. When I 1st watched the video, I was with my brother-in-law Nick, and we must have rewinded that part a half dozen times before finishing the rest of the video. In short, he's a sick dude.



No comments:

Post a Comment