Thursday, September 12, 2013

We Never Knew Ye: Songs That Leave You Wanting More

3 straight days with a post after a month with not so much as a peep? So it goes in B-Court All-Star land.

Shuffling through the song library on my iPhone on the way home from work earlier this week, Method Man and Redman’s “Da Rockwilder” came on. It’s one of those classic hip-hop songs that’s great to bump in your car or blow out your headphones with in the middle of a training session. The other thing that always struck me about it was it’s length…


...it’s barely 2 minutes long. (Igonore the video length…about 20 seconds in the middle of the vid is some nonsense about “stank butt jeans.”) But “Da Rockwilder could easily be a verse each longer from Red and Meth, and it would still leave you wanting more. It got me thinking about other great songs that are just too short.

“Apologize” was a slow melodic pop tune from OneRepublic. It stayed at or near the top of the charts for about half a year when it debuted, but the version I’ll always remember is Lil Wayne and Bun B’s remix to it. Speed up the track, lace a beat to it, put Weezy on it, and now you’ve got something…but 1 verse each? Come on, man.


When I bought Jay-Z’s The Black Album, it was supposed to be his last before he rode off into the music biz sunset. Well 10 years, a gazillion records later, and Jay’s still putting out music…shocker, I know. When I 1st bought it, I knew about the half dozen or so singles that got decent radio play. What I didn’t know about were some of the hidden gems like “Public Service Announcement.” At 1st you think “PSA” is nothing more than an interlude, but it quickly became my favorite track on the album. The only problem was it was only 2 verses long, and a good portion of the song uses a couple samples as filler…ahh well, it was good while it lasted.


I’m sure I could have come up with a more comprehensive list, but these 3 are the ones I could come up with off the top of my head at least. If anyone actually reads this and wants to chime in with their own entries, feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment