Friday, July 20, 2012

The Rain

I can’t stand the rain against my window…


It’s only a 5 minute drive from our apartment to my office, but on this drizzly morning it was enough time for Missy Elliott’s “The Rain” to pop into my head. Even with the rain connotation, it’s such a random song to enter my consciousness…and it wasn’t the 1st time that’s happened either. The rhythm, melody, and lyrics are just so goofy though: beep, beep, who got the keys to my jeep? Vroom…

For nostalgia’s sake, the 1st thing I did this morning when I got to my desk was look up the music video on YouTube. It was a reminder of just how much I miss Misdemeanor…not so much for her music, which for my taste was just a’ight.

Her music videos were pretty legendary though in my opinion. They were creative, offbeat, and weirdly entertaining. More than that, they were completely different than anything else from that time period (or ever really). The images forever burned onto my brain for the video for “The Rain” are the scenes where she’s wearing something that looks to be part sumo suit, part inflated garbage bag while dancing in front of a funhouse camera lens…looking like 1 of those goofy inflatable mascots that every sports team has now.

Awwwww, those guys are so hype!

For s***s and giggles, I also looked up the album that I 1st heard “The Rain” on: a mix album called Party Over Here 98. To say it wasn’t something you would find in most people’s music catalogue is a huge understatement. If I recall correctly, it was the 2nd or 3rd CD I ever bought as a kid. At 1st glance, it seems like a dubious choice, but I think when skimming through the CD collection at Best Buy it was the only hip-hop album I could find that didn’t have a “parental advisory” label on it…a big plus for a 13 year old kid who’s Mom was waiting for him in the checkout line.

The s***.

In retrospect, it wasn’t a terrible choice…yes, all the songs were clean (which for some reason was always a bummer…like hearing all the “f***s” and “s***s somehow made it better), but the track list included Missy’s “The Rain,” Mark Morrison’s “Return Of The Mack,” Blackstreet’s all-time great “No Diggity,” and Busta Rhyme’s “Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See.” (Everyone has a favorite rapper from when they were growing up...Busta was who I latched onto as my guy.)

So while I miss Missy, I have to say I disagree with her sentiment about the rain…it’s not so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment