Thursday, May 31, 2012

Heat-Celtics, Game 2: An Assortment of Goodies

Generally speaking, being an adult stinks. Krissy and I can’t figure out where to live. We have agreed that we would like to move up closer to where her parents reside (northern New Jersey), but we both have steady jobs here in Maryland. Also, we have tossed around the idea of moving into Krissy’s grandmom’s house in Delaware until she is ready to sell it. The 1 advantage of that would be that is would give us more time to stash away extra cash for a down payment on a house when the time comes. These ideas are all well and good, but the problem is we don’t have an exact plan, and even if we did it would be tough to execute. How are you supposed to decide where to move your entire life to? And how are you supposed to go anywhere in the 1st place without jobs? Consequently, I’ve been exploring all avenues: job openings in NJ, job openings in DE, job openings here in MD, and housing in all 3 places to boot. It’s enough to drive someone to insanity…good thing I’m insane already.

Oh, I'm certifiable alright...

I’ve posted enough on here lately that I’ve actually started to contemplate what’s in it for me other than the enjoyment of writing itself. That’s right…I’ve wondered what it would be like to sellout! But to sellout, you need to have a modicum of success in the 1st place. I’m not sure what qualifies as success though. What brought this on exactly? Well, 2 things…1st, when logging in to my blog 1 day, I noticed a little blurb about “Google AdSense.” Basically, Google puts ads on your blog, and you can actually make a profit if it gets enough traffic. The problem is that you don’t really know how much you would make until you sign up. This led to the 2nd thing that brought this on: checking my “stats.” I never cared how many people came across “B-Court All-Star” before, but now I check the page view statistics every time I log-on to post something. It’s just a force of habit at this point. For what it’s worth, this month I set my personal best for page views. The post with the most page views is when I wrote about my exploits with poison ivy, as for some odd reason it accounts for a quarter of all the page views I’ve ever had. What does any of this mean? I don’t have a f****** clue to be honest. Only 2 people that I know of (my wife and my friend Mac) read this stuff. Where is all this other traffic coming from? Do people just stumble onto the images I embed when they do a Google image search? Are the stats even right? And what would my stats translate to earnings-wise? Would 100 page views get me a nickel? 10,000? Who knows…it’s fascinating to me for some reason though. Maybe 1 day I will actually “monetize” this thing, but for now it’s all pie-in-the-sky to me.

So, what was I supposed to talk about again? Oh yea, the game…yesterday I wrote that I couldn’t stay with the Spurs-Thunder game all the way through, but I happened to watch game 2 of the Heat-Celtics to completion. Even though last night’s game went into overtime it started a half hour earlier than the game on Tuesday night. So while the overtime period caused it to end later, I guess I was already “pot-committed” as they say in poker. If the Celtics lose this series (which seems even more likely now), they will be kicking themselves when they think of game 2. Pierce and Allen didn’t shoot the lights out like I said they needed to, but their combined 13 for 30 showing from the field was a big improvement from their game 1 output. More than that, the C’s wasted a career night from Rondo, who poured in 44 points (many of which came on perimeter jumpers…not exactly his forte) while not sitting out a single minute. Boston was also pretty whiny after the game about the foul shout disparity between both teams. I am hardpressed to think of a Boston foul that wasn’t actually foul though. The Celtics’ 1 legitimate beef might be the missed call in overtime when Rondo was driving to the basket and was grazed in the face by Dwyane Wade as he attempted a layup. Maybe I have an anti-Celtics bias, but I was less riled-up about the no-call than others. It was clearly a foul, but it still would have been a bail-out call on a wild, out-of-control shot, 1 that I am actually ok not rewarding with 2 free throws. And as for the overall free throw disparity, Boston is a jumpshooting team. You’re not going to march to the line when Pierce, Allen, KG, and even Rondo in this case are for the most part content to take shots from the outside. Conversely, Miami continued to take the ball to the basket, and Boston helped them out with silly fouls at times to boot (I’m looking at you, Keyon Dooling and Mickael Pietrus). The Heat took care of business on their home court. Now, let’s see if the Celtics can come back to Boston and do the same.

The last point of order before I wrap this up is this little diddy. I know it’s a pop song, but it’s catchy, and being that it’s “government Friday” I am unlikely to post anything else this week. This song seems to fit my start-of-the-week mood.


No comments:

Post a Comment