Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Sad Realization And Week 1 Of The MFL

While I’ve been back and forth and back on getting on iPhone, a couple of instances may have caused me to eventually (and ultimately) go forth again. By now everyone knows that Blackberry App World can be pretty lacking in the whole “app” department. When Krissy and a bunch of other people were downloading and playing the oh-so-addicting (I steal Krissy’s phone every night just to play) “Song Pop,” I knew very well no such game would exist for Blackberry platforms, but I did a quick App World search anyway. The search yielded useless garbage like an app called “HypePopMag,” a Blackberry theme for $4.99 (5 bucks?!? I can rent a movie off iTunes for that much and have a dollar left over!) called “KingPop,” and something called “The WhaleSong Project”...

…the f*** is that?

Suffice to say, there was no “Song Pop,” and of course my old iPod Touch doesn’t have the operating system to handle the intricacies of a mobile name that tune game either…no biggie…but when the same was true for this year’s Yahoo fantasy football app, this was too much to bear. For most things that my ol’ Blackberry and iPod didn’t have available to them, I could live without (or find some kind of workaround at least). I’d even boasted about my perceived ability to do without technology to a certain extent in the past, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Sadly I suppose, for me that line is fantasy football.

Speaking of fantasy football (how’s that for a smooth transition?), week 1 went pretty well for “Jr.’s College Fund.” Despite a weak game from Antonio Gates and Adrian Peterson deciding to apparently not even let Toby Gerhart have 1 week to himself as Minnesota’s featured back, I was able to cruise to the 2nd highest point total of the week and a 1-0 record. While “Triple M” (Marshall, Maclin, and Murray) all came through, I think I have to thank an out-of-the-blue 18 points from Redskins’ kicker Billy Cundiff as well. It also helps to have a quarterback that can throw 3 picks and still get you 20 points…I have a feeling that as long as he stays healthy, I’m going to like having this Matthew Stafford guy captaining my fantasy ship this year.

Kicker? I just met her.

Week 2 has me pitted against the ol’ wifey, so I’m sure there will be a lot of awkward silences and weird tension (for 1 of us at least) this weekend in our apartment. Coincidentally, I’m 3-0 all-time in the 2+ years of this fantasy league against Krissy, but I’m not liking a bunch of my matchups (Stafford vs. the 49ers, Maclin vs. the Ravens, etc.). Yahoo seems to agree, as the line is “SPERM DEPOSIT” by 6 as of today. I might agree too, as I would be inclined to give the 6 and take Krissy’s team. We’ll see what happens though.

No comments:

Post a Comment