Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Week 3 Of The MFL And Other Football News And Notes

Yes, I finally got a chance to do some actually body-surfing this weekend. Did I do enough of it to quench my appetite for the summer? No, not really…did I do enough of it to miss most of this weekend’s slate of NFL games (including a good portion of the Redskins’ game)? Why yes, yes I did…well, turns out I didn’t miss much…or did I miss everything? Sweet mercy, I f***ing missed everything!

I guess I should start off with my beloved (terrible) Redskins. 1st, I have to admit that I only watched about 64% of this week’s game. When the Skins were down by 2 touchdowns at halftime, I figured I would cut my losses and head back to the beach. By the time we got back to the house, we were greeted with the following from my uncle: you’re not going to believe this, but it’s tied! Tied?!? Well yes, it was at least for a moment…as soon as we got upstairs, Washington’s porous pass D promptly gave up 2 disgustingly easy touchdown drives to Cincinnati, all but putting the game out of reach…that is until RG3 tried to come to the rescue. The potential game-tying 2-minute-drill drive, which was going pretty well I might add, hit a snag in 1 particular mind-numbing sequence where Griffin took a bad sack trying to do a little too much, the Skins jumped offsides, and then offensive wunderkind Kyle Shanahan took a 15 yard penalty for berating an official. After losing what seemed like 80 yards in the sack and ensuing penalties, the resulting 4th down Hail Mary pass fell harmlessly to the turf, but all in all I think this game confirmed what most Redskins’ fans already know. If you’ve watched this franchise for 20 years, transparent defenses, sieve-like offensive lines, coaching mistakes, and end-of-game follies are almost expected at this point. You also have to concede that RG3 looks like the real deal, but those longstanding Washington characteristics may hasten some kind of catastrophic RG-injury if the Redskins aren’t careful. Let’s just say my new founded hope is diminishing week by week.

One of these times, RG3 isn't going to get up if he keeps taking hits like this.

Do I have to talk about my fantasy team? Ok fine, I guess I will talk (a little) about my fantasy team…let’s just say that my team didn’t reach triple digits in points for weeks 2 and 3 combined. Excuse me while I throw up in the empty cubicle next to mine…so much for having the 2nd highest point total in week 1. Through 3 weeks my team has scored the fewest points in our league by far, and I’m not sure if there’s any relief in sight. Shonn Greene, Antonio Gates, you guys are dead to me, and now Stafford might be hurt as well. The worst thing is that my team does have some depth, but I’m rediscovering that depth is not always a great thing in fantasy sports, as you have to play matchup roulette every week…give me a couple of studs and a soft bench over this s*** any day. I’m not sure I can do 14 more weeks of this.

Oh, for crying out loud...

And how can I go a whole NFL post without mentioning the replacement refs? Listen, I’m not going to root for anything cataclysmic to happen. I don’t want to see anyone get hurt or a team lose a game because of officiating (oops, too late), but it’s getting to the point where you almost have to root for things to get more and more chaotic just to get things to change. This was pretty much the same way I always approached the college game’s BCS system…just root for a complete clusterf*** until it gets to the point where the people in charge have no choice but to amend things, because the NFL seems to be too busy doing some serious ass-covering to actually get this right. We’ve already seen the errors of replacement refs decide games, but I’m surprised that we haven’t seen a full-on “Malice in the Palace” type melee yet too. Like maybe somebody blatantly spears a defenseless receiver with a helmet and it goes uncalled, which spawns a bench-clearing battle royal at midfield or something. I’m thinking the 49ers-Jets game is a good candidate for this. Actually, is there any way we can bet on this? I got to go…I got to see a guy about a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment